The aim is to halt and reverse the decline of the historic townscape by creating an attractive, vibrant and interesting locality where people will want to live, work visit and invest.
From Northwich Conservation Area Management Plan, para 4.2.1.
The Civic Amenities Act 1967 introduced the concept of conservation areas. The Northwich Conservation Area was designated in 1975, and so was one of the early ones. At that time designation was all that was required.
Since then the legislation has changed and been superseded in various areas and the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 merged all the previous legislation relating to Conservation Areas. In 1994 Planning Policy Guidance 15: Planning and the Historic Environment (PPG15) came into being. This set out the policies for the assessment, designation and management of Conservation Areas. At this point Northwich was without an Appraisal and Management Plan. So in 2010 an initial Appraisal and Management Plan were carried out, written and compiled by Donald Insall Associates Ltd. Both have since been revised and updated most recently by Northwich Townscape Heritage Officer in 2018 and previously by Heritage Regeneration Ltd in 2015 following new developments and changes to buildings in the town.
These two documents have recently been formalised and included in the Local Plan Part 2. By providing the Appraisal and Management Plan the Council is complying with the more recent legislation that now require these documents to update Conservation Areas where only the area had been designated previously.
The Northwich Conservation Area was originally designated in November 1975 and was first reviewed in March 2010.
As part of the Townscape Heritage project, an updated version of the Conservation Area Appraisal is required by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- Northwich Conservation Area Volume 1: Conservation Area Appraisal (PDF, 7.2MB)
- Appendix B: Plan Showing Existing Boundary and Character Zones (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Appendix C: Plan Showing Relative Ages of Buildings within Zone 1 (PDF, 633KB)
- Appendix D: Plan Showing Relative Ages of Buildings within Zone 2 (PDF, 771KB)
- Appendix E: Plan showing Location of Key Views and Landscaped Areas within Zone 1 (PDF, 184KB)
- Appendix F: Plan Showing Location of Key Views and Landscaped Areas within Zone 2 (PDF, 873KB)
- Appendix G: Plan Showing Contribution of Buildings within Zone 1 (PDF, 644KB)
- Appendix H: Plan Showing Contribution of Buildings within Zone 2 (PDF, 737KB)
- Appendix J: Building Descriptions (PDF, 65KB)
- Northwich Conservation Area Volume 2: Conservation Area Management Plan (PDF, 3MB)