The Statue of Ludwig Mond
The statute was erected in 1912. It is a bronze statue on a granite plinth created by Édouard Lantéri. It was unveiled by Sir John Brunner in 1913. It is life size, and depicts Mond standing, with a beard and a moustache, holding a stick in his right hand, and papers behind his back in his left hand. He is wearing a long heavy overcoat and a large hat.
The statue was moved in 1995 to stand next to the statue of Brunner in front of the offices of Brunner Mond in Winnington.
The Man – Ludwig Mond
Ludwig Mond was born in Germany and studied at the Universities of Marburg and Heidelberg but spent most of his working life in England having moved here in 1862.
He joined the alkali manufacturing business of John Hutchinson in Widnes. Hutchinson manufactured alkali by the Leblanc process, and Mond’s earlier work for the company was to devise a method of recovering sulphur from the by-products of this process. Another employee of Hutchinson was John Brunner, who had joined the company in 1861, and who became the manager of the office.
The Leblanc process was an inefficient method for producing alkali, and was very damaging to the environment, so alternative processes were sought. The ammonia-soda process was one such alternative process. John Brunner joined him in this process. In 1873 Mond and Brunner bought the Winnington estate near Northwich in Cheshire, which included the country house, Winnington Hall. The two families moved into the hall, one family occupying each wing, and the factory which became the start of Brunner Mond and Company was built nearby. By about 1892 the company had become the largest producer of soda in the world.
Mond’s interests then moved on to work with nickel, and he formed the Mond Nickel Company. He took out many patents and founded the Davy-Faraday Research Laboratory at the Royal Institution. Away from industry, he formed a large art collection, and bequeathed most of it to the National Gallery. Mond is regarded as “one of the greatest experiential chemists of his generation”.
After Mond’s death the directors of Brunner Mond and Company commissioned Édouard Lantéri to design a statue. Lantéri had previously designed a small bronze plaque of Mond. The decision to commission Lantéri to design the statue was probably influenced by Robert Mond, Ludwig’s eldest son. The figure of Mond was made in the foundry of A. B. Burton in Thames Ditton. The statue was unveiled on 13 September 1913 by John Brunner in Winnington Park, in a position overlooking their works. Many years later , in 1995, the statue was moved to its present position outside Mond House, the headquarters of the company founded by Brunner and Mond, and was unveiled here by the Duchess of Kent. It stands adjacent to the statue of Brunner.